[Coral-List] Coral restoration trashing

Paul Muir paularwen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 22:28:54 UTC 2023

Not involved in Coral Restoration or trashing CR, but I certainly agree
with some of the criticism. Billions of dollars are now being poured into
CR by governments and big mining in lieu of reducing their carbon
emissions. These big players are touting CR as a super-high-tech means of
"saving the reef" while continuing with business as usual. High-tech
(sci-fi?) plays a big part of selling this to the public: artificial
intelligence, underwater robots, genetic engineering, 3D printing etc.
figure heavily in the marketing. Arguably, CR is also diverting funds and
researchers away from critical conservation science, for example the recent
Red List revision concluded that there was a chronic lack of data on the
conservation status of the majority of our ~750 coral species. We have no
clue how the majority of coral species are faring, their regional
population size, risk of extinction, susceptibility to bleaching etc.
Collecting this basic data would cost a tiny fraction of the CR budget, but
it's being ignored.

I'm certainly a fan of many of the CR projects, but the trashers do have a
point at times?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 at 01:37, Luiz Rocha via Coral-List <