[Coral-List] Coral restoration trashing

Phanor Hernando Montoya Maya phmontoyamaya at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 22:52:49 UTC 2023

Luiz, thank you very much for your message. Such a comment coming from a
non-restoration practitioner or scientist is precious.

I hope your comment stops the confrontation between passive (i.e.,
protection) and active (i.e., restoration) coral reef conservation
scientists. Although on different fronts, we all work on the same goal or
interest: resilient coral reefs, right? Let's stop wasting our energy and
time arguing between us! Polluters, climate change deniers, among others
responsible for coral reef deterioration, laugh at us when every time we
engage in another argument.

Why is it so difficult to understand that only a joint siege strategy that
combines proactive (i.e., effective impact control) and reactive (i.e.,
assisted ecosystem recovery) restoration efforts might give us a better
chance to achieve our goal?  This strategy must be defined and implemented
by all parties involved. With circa 80 years of coral reef science, we all
know why, how, and what we need to do. Then, let's join forces and seek
the political will needed to fund and implement a coral reef conservation
campaign.

Best,
Phanor

Phanor H Montoya Maya, Ph.D. (CERP 0514)

Coral Restoration Program Manager

Phone: +1-305-522-3690

Work Phone: +1-786-780-2660

Coral Restoration Foundation™

coralrestoration.org

Headquarters

89111 Overseas Hwy, Tavernier, Florida 33070

Exploration Center

5 Seagate Blvd, Key Largo, Florida 33037

INSTAGRAM @coralrestorationfoundation

FACEBOOK CoralRestorationFoundation

TWITTER @coralcrf

Dr. Phanor Montoya: Restaurando Arrecifes Coralinos | TED Talk
<https://www.ted.com/talks/dr_phanor_montoya_restaurando_arrecifes_coralinos>