[Coral-List] Coral restoration trashing

Paul Muir paularwen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 00:22:02 UTC 2023

I agree with Austin, these problems (at least in Australia) are driven by
the funding bodies /politics that favour "high tech-quick fix" projects
over more grounded conservation biology. The coal/gas industry is huge in
this country and they poison not only our air and climate, but also much of
our society, including our science. We have had a change of government
recently, so hopefully this situation might change..... a little.  It is no
coincidence that one of the biggest CR trashers is based in Australia; as a
(the?) top-ranked coral reef researcher, this person should be on the
boards of these funding bodies and research institutes, to at least provide
some balance and common sense.

PAUL MUIR,
Private Consultant