[Coral-List] corals can eat their zooxanthellae

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Sat Aug 26 01:31:21 UTC 2023

It is a shame that so many people who have an interest in coral reefs haven't either had the opportunity to take a higher level coral reef ecology and physiology course, or in lieu of this, taken the time to actually read the scientific literature. I was of the impression that when Coral-List was started by Jim Hendee it was oriented to coral reef scientists communicating with each other about substantive coral reef topics. It was open to all which is a good way for those with little background to learn from scientists with more experience. Over the years, I find that this scenario has changed and it is now more a forum for afficionados, but not necessarily ones with any background in the science of corals and coral reefs. I have shelves of books about all kinds of geological, ecological and biological aspects of corals that I use to brush up on topics, and there have been excellent overview books over the decades for those who take the time to read them. e.g. Ecosystems of the World Vol 25 Coral Reefs (1990). Then there is https://scholar.google.com for more specific literature searches.

I am sorry, but I will not apologize for being shocked that in 2023 people on this list would be so uninformed about coral biology to not know what is basically general knowledge that corals digest some of their zooxanthellae. As Rob pointed out, the first paper on this was by Boschma back in 1925. He also did cool experiments showing how he could infect aposymbiotic corals with zooxanthellae by feeding them bits of zooxanthellate coral tissue mixed up with crab meat. He did a lot of his research with the cold water coral Astrangia danae (now poculata). I used to spend hours and hours reading the literature to catch up with what had been learned over the decades, even centuries, before I came along. Apparently that doesn't happen anymore: everyone is too busy reinventing the wheel. I was at the Bremen ISRS and did come away with the impression that oh so many young and intelligent researchers are underprepared for tackling major research topics because of lack of knowledge with which to reason with.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
EMAIL: alina at cisme-instruments.com

CISME IS NOW SOLD BY QUBIT SYSTEMS; https://qubitbiology.com/cisme/

Videos:  CISME Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s