[Coral-List] Job Opportunity: 3-year Postdoctoral Researcher

Keisha Bahr kbahr at hawaii.edu
Tue Aug 29 23:49:07 UTC 2023

*Aloha all! 3-Year Postdoctoral Research Position in Coral Environmental
Physiology Available in Texas with field work in Hawaiʻi.*

*Details: *Lead a comprehensive study of how corals react to stress through
the utilization of advanced respirometry techniques. This research involves
examining how corals respond to increased turbidity and the impact of
marine carbon removal approaches on both corals and crustose coralline
algae. The study will encompass hands-on experiments conducted in both
Texas and Hawaiʻi, collaborating with a diverse team of experts from
various fields. The findings will directly contribute to practical
management strategies.

*Position Details*: 3-year grant funded position, competitive salary,
professional development opportunities, funding to attend conferences,
individualized mentoring and potential to mentor graduate and undergraduate
students. The postdoc will be based in Texas but will spend weeks
conducting field work in Hawaiʻi. Will work with collaborators at the
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. Competitive Salary ($60k/yr) with benefits,
start date negotiable.

*Responsibilities*:
- Lead and manage scientific experiments, taking care of all the steps from
setting up to summarizing the results. Be hands-on with equipment
maintenance and problem-solving in the lab, including looking after
aquarium systems.
- Gather and organize data, presenting it in regular reports. Help secure
funding for our work by applying for grants from various organizations.
- Write papers about our research and keep our funders updated on our
progress and findings.
- Support graduate students with their research projects. Carry out other
tasks as needed, and continuously learn and grow in your professional
abilities, helping others to do the same.

*Qualifications*:
- Doctoral degree in Biology, Marine Biology, Ecology, Marine Science or
related field.
- Experience conducting environmental experimentation in marine organisms.
- Strong knowledge of experimental design and statistical analyses and
demonstrated scientific writing skills.
- Excellent professional, organizational, written, and verbal communication
skills.
- Ability to work on an interdisciplinary research team.
- Adept at multi-tasking and cooperative teamwork.

*Preferred Qualifications*:
- One-two (1-2) years of experience in writing, preparing, and submitting
grants.
- In-depth knowledge of respirometry, sediment and turbidity manipulations,
and coral biology, physiology, and ecology.
- Current SCUBA certification with AAUS Scientific Diver and Nitrox status.
- Skilled in statistical and GIS software like R, SAS, and ArcMap
- Flexibility to work beyond standard hours and on weekends when needed.

*Link to application*:
https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/details/Postdoctoral-Research-Associate_R-064134
<https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/details/Postdoctoral-Research-Associate_R-064134>
Postdoctoral Research Associate
<https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/details/Postdoctoral-Research-Associate_R-064134>
tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com

Job ID R-064134
Applications reviewed until position is filled.

Please contact Dr. Keisha Bahr with questions: Keisha.Bahr at tamucc.edu |
www.bahrlab.com