[Coral-List] Take care in making attributions on the trigger for SCTLD

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 19:52:27 UTC 2023

Further to the origin of SCTLD and its connection to Southern Florida.  Has
anyone tested IndoPacific corals for resistance to SCTLD?  If Indopacific
corals are highly resilient compared to similar Caribbean species, then the
marine aquarium trade might be looked into as a possible or even likely
source?  However, if Indopacific corals are just as susceptible, that
hypothesis is retired.  Certainly and regardless of the origin,
extraordinary measures should already have been put in place to prevent
ballast water transport of this horrific disease out of the Caribbean and
globally.   But I have absolutely no confidence in the present global
system, where market forces take precedence over biosecurity, and where
repeated introductions of Indopacific species have made their way into the
Caribbean via the Aquarium trade: Lionfish, Unomia (Xenia), and many
others, as if climate change and other forces were not already enough to
deal with!
Regards,  Austin
Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
22 minute summary of climate change adaptation strategies
https://youtu.be/arkeSGXfKMk
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 12:19 AM Kaufman, Leslie S via Coral-List <