[Coral-List] Long term monitoring of negative impacts caused by dredging operations and other unsustainable development

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 15:30:19 UTC 2023

Thanks, Steven, for you explanation: "The question of what kind of
mitigation activities are best-suited is a separate topic, but outplanting
large numbers of corals that have low survivorship off the Miami coast
would not be at the top of my list - and I'm generally an advocate for
conducting coral outplanting. I served on the board of directors of the
Coral Restoration Foundation for many years and chaired their science
advisory committee.".

We transparently advocate for coral reefs worldwide. Our Science of Loss
Program is based on the application of transdisciplinary science monitoring
in the long term, coral reef case studies that had and still are having
negative effects from environmental impacts such as unstable deposits of
sediments from dredging, enlargement of channels and ports, sewage pipe
leaking, massive transportation, other local and international pollution
that cause biodiversity loss.

In the case of Port of Miami, we got chronological reports from Miami
Keepers describing initial explotions to break hard bottom in the dredging
operation area. Also a report from Dr. William Precht ( He told us will
publish it soon) about a leaking pipe close to the first sighting of SCTLD.
As well as the increase in cruises frequency and passenger numbers.
Scientific publications about polluted ballast water and the outbreak of
the coral disease in the whole Caribbean Region. The most recent report was
the NOAA s 2023, report that includes in it's text that the dredging
operation maybe related to the SCTLD emergence.

All the Best,

NOHORA GALVIS
ICRS World Reef Award Winner
International Coral Reef Observatory, ICRO Director
Follow us on Facebook ICROBSERVATORY
Twitter /instagram/ YouTube ICR_OBSERVATORY