[Coral-List] scientist letter Advancing Responsible Research and Development of Ocean-Based Carbon Dioxide Removal

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 22:09:10 UTC 2023

*Good point Aiste, about the need for interdisciplinary voices. I
understand your view is coming from the Centre for the Study of the
Sciences and the Humanities in Bremen. *

*What we need now advancing in political science is to take into account
the knowledge on ecological, social and economic values of coral reefs to
be protected effectively in the wild, applying #CoralReefsOptimism It
should mean do not give up to stop local threats and find innovative
alternatives to avoid direct destruction in situ of coral reefs as know as
ecosystems as well stopping local and global **pollution**. *

*Welcome all the innovative solutions by Geoengineering, if treating the
root causes of climate change,** nutrients enrichment* *and **local
destruction of coral reefs . Meanwhile, changing global human behaviors
(Starting with 10000 coral listers leading by example
environmental friendly behaviours) may be more effective than anything
else.  *

*It would be a very strong Interdisciplinary Coral Reef scientific
community, if we were coherent with what we recommend applying our
knowledge in our daily lives and practices to avoid further coral reef
fragmentation and biodiversity loss, without pessimistic views of keeping
in mind a future of coral reefs ONLY in vitro, waiting for optimal climate
change to outplant the small percent of surviving fragments of coral
colonies again to the wild... let us be positive and stop local and global
threats as the scientific papers since decades ago are recommending not
more anthropogenic stress to coral reefs. If we stop the local and global
threats, coral reefs will manage to survive as corals have done it for
centuries by controlling the number of zooxanthellae in their tissues, and
other defensive physiological mechanisms. It is time to act now. We cannot
afford longer to be quiet and accept the unsustainable development to
continue and support it with promises to restore coral reefs in our labs by
breaking another million of coral colonies.*

*Many Thanks for your call to include interdisciplinary voices in coral
reef decision making,*

*Nohora Galvis*
*ICRS World Reef Award Winner *
*ICRO Transdisciplinary Researcher*
*International Coral Reef ObservatoryFollow us on
Facebook.com/ICRObservatoryTwitter (Spanish) ArrecifesCoraland (English)
ICR_Observatory on Twitter / Instagram / YouTube*