[Coral-List] The Guardian: Largest known deep-sea coral reef mapped off U.S. Atlantic coast

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Fri Jan 26 20:07:47 UTC 2024

MY EMAIL WAS HACKED FOR A FEW DAYS SO EMAILS I SENT OUT WERE NOT GOING THROUGH. SORRY TO BE A BIT LATER TO THIS PARTY, BUT I THINK MY POINTS ARE STILL RELEVANT AND ADD TO RECENT POSTS ABOUT THE LOPHELIA BANKS HAVING BEEN STUDIED FOR DECADES. IT'S GREAT THAT NEW TECHNOLOGY IS ALLOWING MORE DETAILED MAPPING, BUT ONLY NEWBIES DIDN'T KNOW THOSE REEFS WEREN'T THERE. IT'S ALL AVAILBALE, DOZENS OF PUBLICATIONS, UNDER A SCHOLAR GOOGLE SEARCH FOR LOPHELIA CORALS.

YOU SHOULD ADD STEVE ROSS TO THE LIST OF MANY NAMES WHO HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THE EXTENSIVE LOPHELIA BEDS FOR DECADES.

Thank you Bill, for once again pointing out the lack of 'old-fashioned' scholarship among younger scientists. I am sure this is not unique to the field of coral reef studies since friends in physical oceanography and other sciences complain about the same thing. Maybe humans can only master so much information, or the pressure of competition to succeed in academia limits how much effort today's scientists spend reading the literature that doesn't pop up in a quick Google Scholar search, but I think that younger generations of scientists are not being taught (like I was) how to research the literature and give credit where credit is due. Everything has to be BREAKING NEWS these days, when actually it's like the Europeans "discovering America"... the millions of indigenous Americans knew it was here...

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
EMAIL: alina at cisme-instruments.com<mailto:alina at cisme-instruments.com>

CISME IS NOW SOLD BY QUBIT SYSTEMS; https://qubitbiology.com/cisme/

Videos:  CISME Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s