[Coral-List] The Guardian: Largest known deep-sea coral reef mapped off U.S. Atlantic coast

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jan 25 23:28:48 UTC 2024

   Hello Austin.

   Hard to be optimistic, but it's Rabbie Burns' Day, so I will fortify
   myself (Balvenie 14 y.o.) and attempt to answer your question.

   Our work now is (gasp!) >25 years old. I have not kept up with the
   field and am not a real oceanographer in any event, so bear with me.

   The corals we analysed are solitary-Desmophyllum-unlike the Lophelia
   that is found all over the place. (In fact, it could be argued that
   Lophelia pertusa is the most widespread benthic critter on the planet.)
   It is possible, although fiendishly difficult, to get sequential data
   from a Desmophyllum, something which is virtually impossible with
   Lophelia (Lazier et al, 1999, Lethaia v. 32).

   We spent a colossal amount of money on high-precision 14C dates, and
   are confident of our stratigraphy. What astonished us was the rapidity
   with which full-on deglaciation could switch over to a pseudo-glacial
   event. Less than 4 years. Note that here I refer to the time required
   for the turnaround, not the time required to achieve final Y-D
   conditions. Nonetheless.

   After many years watching the decline/demise of coral reefs, I am not
   easily depressed or frightened, but I must admit the Ditlevson et al
   paper (which you cite) scared the feces out of me.

   The Younger Dryas was not really a global event-impacts were mostly
   restricted to western Europe, which was plunged into  mini-glacial
   conditions for about 1,000 years.

   There is talk of the collapse of the Gulf Stream. That is unlikely to
   have happened. The excess heat in the Caribbean Basin was always going
   to be thrown out somewhere-instead of going up and to the east and
   allowing palm trees in Ireland, it probably went straight across, and
   made miserable conditions in West Africa even worse. WA is one of the
   places on the globe where the 35-degree/wet bulb limit will be exceeded
   soon, meaning humans simply cannot survive there.

   We were unable to speculate on where the GS went during the Y-D,
   because of the dearth 25 years ago of good paleoclimate records from
   Africa. Those smarter than I may have newer information.

   And my Balvenie has just run out, requiring immediate attention. I hope
   this is of some help-I wish I knew more.

   Mike