[Coral-List] new book with lots of photos showing what the Caribbean was like

Dr Stuart P Wynne stuart at stuartwynne.co.uk
Sat May 6 11:16:24 UTC 2023

Dear Alina and Coral-list,

Such a repository is a great idea, and in fact this is something we (The
Coral Reef Research Hub) have recently starting to compile on our
YouTube channel - see here under 'Coral Reef Historical Archive'
Playlist. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF57OYQvSXOQS9qTNzr4Ew)

These videos are currently fairly recent footage taken at a growing
number of locations (many more are being edited together as we speak)
but it would also be possible to compile a collections of stills into a
video file with annotations - which would be great in terms of
documenting 1970s/80s/90s when underwater video was a much bigger
undertaking than it is today. We would produce and post a separate video
for each general location and year as we are currently doing for the
modern footage (that we hope in twenty years time will continue to serve
against the shifting baselines issue!) - As Alina says - this will
create non-systematic data points that can be used as needed by
researchers/managers/etc.

If you have such material to contribute (or modern footage) please get
in touch with me either at stuart at stuartwynne.co.uk or
admin at thecoralreefresearchhub.com and we will take it from there.

I think this is a very important initiative,

Best regards,

Dr Stuart P. Wynne

Tropical Marine Ecologist
www.stuartwynne.co.uk [1]