[Coral-List] global threats drive coral declines of world reefs, not local impacts

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 16:42:16 UTC 2024

Dear Colleagues,

The discussion about this paper from 2016 was held a long time ago. There
are many assumptions such as, the protected areas are effectively managed
and that isolated reefs have not any human impact. Nevertheless, with
transdisciplinary research is possible to identify hide causes of coral
reef degradat*n *considering all the human activities held even in
protected areas, paper parks and isolated coral reefs such explosions to
enlarged channels, direct reef destruction to enlarge ports, town sewage
leaks going directly to coral reefs, mass tourism, increase in maritime
navigation,cruise ship latrine washing, international industrial
overfishing, ship groundings, oil and other pollutants spill and military
exercises among many others causes that added to climate change (United
Nations acknowledge them as Cumulative Effects) causing morbidity and
mortality of coral reef organisms; accordingly to the intensity, frequency,
duration and geographical scale of the local impacts many of which were
allowed by decision makers and justified with local restoration projects
and confidential contracts.

We are writing a contribution to this knowledge in the following months.
Therefore, when doing analysis of local causes of degradation, it is
advisable to consider the history of local impacts as well as the impacts
caused by climate change (global: the sum of local gas emissions
pollution). The conclusions should be more adjusted to real scenarios of
local case studies in situ, to improve the world coral reef management
effectiveness and Global Behavior Change.

Cordially
*Nohora Galvis*
*Director*
*International Coral Reef Observatory, ICRO*
*UN DOALOS Expert*
*ICRS World Reef Award*
*Facebook ICRObservatory*
*Twitter ArrecifesCoral and ICR_Observatory*
*Instagram ** ICR_Observatory*
*Youtube ** ICR_Observatory*