[Coral-List] Underwater videos Rigs

Greg Challenger gchallenger at msn.com
Thu Oct 9 17:59:16 EDT 2008

This quote from:

Oil Spills: Impact on the Ocean
Water: Science and Issues<http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_gx5224>,  (2003)<http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_gx5224/is_2003>  by Carolyn Embach<http://findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qa=Carolyn+Embach>

"It is estimated that approximately 706 million gallons of waste oil enter the ocean every year, with over half coming from land drainage and waste disposal; for example, from the improper disposal of used motor oil. Offshore drilling and production operations and spills or leaks from ships or tankers typically contribute less than 8 percent of the total. The remainder comes from routine maintenance of ships (nearly 20 percent), hydrocarbon particles from onshore air pollution (about 13 percent), and natural seepage from the seafloor (over 8 percent)."

Prevalence during Drilling versus Transportation

"Offshore oil spills or leaks may occur during various stages of well drilling or workover and repair operations. These stages can occur while oil is being produced from offshore wells, handled, and temporarily stored; or when oil is being transported offshore, either by flowline, underwater pipeline, or tanker. Of the approximately 706 million gallons of waste oil in the ocean each year, offshore drilling operations contribute about 2.1 percent, and transportation accidents (both ships and tankers) account for another 5.2 percent. The amount of oil spilled or leaked during offshore production operations is relatively insignificant."

Greg Challenger