[Coral-List] Great Barrier Reef is rapidly losing coral

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Fri Oct 12 16:12:42 EDT 2012

     With all this talk about the declining Great Barrier Reef I felt
compelled to throw in my two cents. I am confused with the way the
term Great Barrier Reefs has been described in the recent letters. As
I understand it the GBR is a discontinuous 2000 long strip many miles
off shore and separated from shore by a deep lagoon with hundreds of
patch reefs, sandy islands and the tops of hills/mountains that were
flooded by rising sea level during the past 18,000 years. The writers
and the recently cited biological paper (27-year decline) tend to
lump all the varied reefs into one entity called the Great Barrier
Reef. It is my understanding that the true barrier reef is the narrow
discontinuous outer strip of coral and reef sand that faces the open
ocean.
     The narrow offshore barrier I have read about is a thin veneer of
coral capping pre existing topography. There is not a lot on this
outer barrier for COTS to eat. Please correct me if I am wrong. The
lush coral we all know about is around those large patch reefs many
miles landward of the outer barrier. Are not these reefs more likely
to be devastated by COTS?
     I certainly am not an expert on the GBR but I did do a tour there
in 1972. Like most people I did not see the actual Barrier reefs that
face the open ocean.  My knowledge of those outer barrier reefs is
based purely on geological accounts. Fortunately my weeklong tour
followed the huge starfish epidemic that occurred in the late 1960s
and had run its natural course.  That epidemic was one of the hot
topics at the Third International Coral Reef Symposium in Miami in
1977. Arguments that it was human induced were similar to those of
today except that bleaching, climate, and disease were still on the
horizon.  Several Australian scientists went at each other with great
vigor. Some geologists had taken cores, dug holes, and found layers
of the distinctive skeletal parts of COTS indicating the infestation
was nothing new. Some outspoken biologists on the other hand,
vigorously refused to accept geological observations. They opted for
humans as the cause and blamed the cause on collection of a snail
that preys on starfish. The division between anthropogenic and
natural causes seems little changed over the past 35 years.
     The first stop on my 1972 tour was Heron Island near the southern
portion of the barrier reef complex.  Besides my amazement that
Pacific corals could survive more than an hour of subaerial exposure
during low tide I was greatly impressed with the lush variety of
corals. Surprisingly people were walking and collecting (Fossicking)
on the vast exposed reef flat. I rented a skiff and took many
underwater photographs on the flanks of the reef area. On my return
to the dock I told the man in charge that I had seen a grouping of
bomies I recognized from a televised nature film but did not see the
starfish that had been the programs centerpiece. The boat rental
agent said, "Mate we brought that starfish from a reef 30 miles away
and placed it there for the program."
     The next stop was Hayman Island in the Whitsunday group of
mountaintops surrounded by fringing reefs. That stop was not very
instructive but still there was no evidence of COTS. However, the
next stop, Green Island, was most instructive. COTS had decimated
hard corals around the island and the reef sand consisted almost
exclusively of starfish fragments and spines.
     These observations suggested that COTS did not affect all of the
hundreds of islands and patch reefs in the Barrier Reef lagoon. I do
not know if they occurred on the outer barrier many miles seaward but
it was clear they had not damaged the lush reefs around Heron Island.
      At the Ninth ICRS in Bali in 2000, I was surprised to see a
session devoted to muddy water coral reefs. About 24 papers described
muddy water coral reefs that occur closer to shore in Australia.
These reefs are little known and tour guides are not likely to take
tourist divers to these reefs where the water is too murky for
underwater photography. In spite of the evidence that such reefs
exist the myth that corals cannot live in muddy water persists. Of
course they are not the flamboyant colorful coral species one expects
farther off shore but as a geologist I recognize these as more like
reefs in the geological record.
     More up to date, a recent 2012 issue of the Journal Geology
contains a paper with the long title, "Evidence of very rapid reef
accretion and reef growth under high turbidity and terrigenous
sedimentation." That study describes 8 muddy water reefs near
Magnetic Island and is based on cores and 40 radiocarbon dates. The
study documents the surprising result that these reefs have accreted
faster than clear water reefs father off shore! How can this be?  The
simple answer is that the high sedimentation rate blankets dead
corals and thus preventing bioerosion that usually reduces dead
corals to sand and rubble. This observation is counter intuitive but
makes good sense. It is a likely explanation for the thick, mud-rich,
coral and Rudistid reefs preserved in the geologic record.  Of course
it is a Goldie Locks situation. The sedimentation rate must be just
right. Not enough to kill the coral but just enough to blanket dead
coral surfaces and fill spaces between the corals.
     In recent years we have recognized similar examples in the
Florida Keys. Corals offshore close to the clear Florida current have
experienced rapid demise while corals closer to shore where
visibility is greatly reduced have survive. It should also be noted
that many of these near shore reefs succumbed to cold winter
temperatures in 2010. All things considered there seems to be a
striking similarity between the Great Barrier Reef area and the
Florida Keys situation. In Florida the thickest reef accumulations
(places like Grecian and Key Largo Dry Rocks) occur starting about a
mile landward of the outer barrier we generally call the Florida reef
tract. This outer 6,000-year-old Holocene barrier is for the most
part is under less than 8 to-10 meters of water and less than 1-meter
thick. The more shoreward reefs that have grown up to sea level are
roughly 10-meters thick.  Likewise, the thickest reefs in Australia
are also well shoreward of the outer barrier.
      With these observations in mind I encourage researchers worrying
about the future of Australian coral reefs to be more specific about
what they refer to as the Great Barrier Reef.  Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor