[Coral-List] Faculty position: Marine Invertebrate Biologist at the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School

Andrew Baker abaker at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Sep 23 22:49:18 EDT 2014

Marine Invertebrate Biologist

The Department of Marine Biology and Ecology (MBE) formerly known as the
Division of Marine Biology and Fisheries (MBF)
<http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/academics/graduate-programs/degrees/marine-biolo
gy-fisheries/>  at the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and
Atmospheric Science, RSMAS <http://rsmas.miami.edu/> , invites applications
for a tenure-track position in Marine Invertebrate Biology as part of a
broad strategic plan involving 16 faculty hires over the coming few years.
This will be a 9-month guaranteed salary position and is intended to be at
the rank of Assistant Professor but exceptional applicants at other ranks
will be considered. The anticipated start date is August 2015.

We are searching for an outstanding candidate working on any marine
invertebrate group and questions. Potential research areas include, but are
not restricted to: comparative or developmental physiology,
organism-environment interactions, toxicology, climate change impacts,
ecological and/or evolutionary genomics, or ecology. Preference will be
given to applicants applying a broad range of techniques and approaches with
strong potential for within and among department collaborations, as well as
interactions with our Coral Gables <http://miami.edu/>  and Medical campuses
<http://med.miami.edu/> .

Research interests of the faculty in MBE span, in no particular order,
fisheries/population level biology; coastal and coral reef biology, ecology
and conservation; organismal biology; marine health and biomedicine, and
biological oceanography. The successful applicant will be housed in the
recently inaugurated 85,000 sf Marine Technology and Life Sciences Seawater
Complex <http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/seawater>   that hosts
state-of-the-science biological and chemical labs for seawater research and
hands-on teaching. In addition, the hire would have access to marine
invertebrate culture facilities associated with our NIH-supported National
Resource for  <https://cc1.rsmas.miami.edu/slugs/> Aplysia, as well as the
extensive collections of our Marine Invertebrate Museum
<http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/resources/invertebrate-museum/>  . The hire will
also have access to on-campus research vessels, including the F.G. Walton
Smith
<http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/resources/marine-department/fg-walton-smith/>
(a 96-foot research catamaran), multiple smaller boats, Broad Key
<http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/resources/broad-key/>  (a 63-acre island
recently acquired as a field station for marine research and education, as
well as a pool currently under construction for the training of scientific
divers.

The successful candidate will contribute to teaching and mentoring students
at the undergraduate and graduate level, and is expected to teach
Invertebrate Zoology in our top-ranked Marine Sciences undergraduate
<http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/academics/undergraduate/>  (B.S.) program, and
related courses in our graduate programs
<http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/academics/>  (Ph. D., M. S. and Professional
Masters).

The RSMAS campus is located on Virginia Key, a unique community of marine
research and educational institutions 15 minutes from downtown Miami,
Florida. Approximately $250M per year is invested in marine science and
education on Virginia Key, including RSMAS, the NOAA Atlantic Oceanographic
and Meteorological Laboratory, the NOAA Southeast Fisheries Science Center,
the Miami Seaquarium, and the Maritime and Science Technology Academy
(MAST).

Applicants must have a Ph. D. in a relevant field, appropriate postdoctoral
training, and the ability to establish and maintain a vigorous,
extramurally-funded research program. A complete application includes a
cover letter, curriculum vitae, separate statements of research and teaching
interests, and the names and contact information of at least three
references.  The position will remain opened until filled, but to receive
full consideration, applications should be received by November 15, 2014. We
anticipate conducting interviews for the positions in January 2015.
Inquiries should be directed to MBEsearch at rsmas.miami.edu

The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we encourage
qualified individuals to apply regardless of race, gender, disability, age,
national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender expression.

___________________

Andrew C. Baker, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, University of Miami

Pew Fellow in Marine Conservation

Visit the lab on Facebook by clicking
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Miami-Coral-Reef-Conservation-R
esearch-Lab-CR2/149751198419595> here

Department of Marine Biology and Ecology

Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science

University of Miami

4600 Rickenbacker Cswy.

Miami, FL 33149, USA

Office: +1 (305) 421-4642