[Coral-List] Coral mortality in a warmer and acidified ocean

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Thu Feb 9 11:31:25 EST 2017

It is interesting watching Steve and Mike talking past one another. Just
to clear the air I receive CO2Science regularly and have communicated
with Idso. Yes he is a climate skeptic but that has little to do with
the validity of the science in the articles he quotes. He is on firm
ground when he says CO2 stimulates plant growth. I did those simple
experiments with lima beans in jars back in the 5^th grade. (I wonder if
they still do that in science classes anymore?) I am sure readers also
know that greenhouse growers routinely raise Co2 levels to around 1,500
ppm to stimulate production. None of this should have anything to do
with whether one accepts scientific results or not regardless of the
results. You should not be selecting the facts you want.

I saw that article about /Acropora/ through geologic time and thought it
was interesting enough to be posted on the list. It was a good piece of
science. Science and should not be labeled by the source but by the
quality of the research. Someone said: “the devil can quote scriptures”
Surely that does not mean the scriptures are not valid. We should not
stick our heads in the sand to quote another old chestnut. Now lets turn
it all around. Suppose someone sends in a post from the far left
Huffington post. Should we not read it? Of course! Determine its value
by the quality of the work and the validity of the research. Lighten up,
Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor