[Coral-List] Live-aboard Coral Reef Fields Studies with MANTA

Rusty Day rusty.day at manta-online.org
Tue Nov 13 13:25:17 UTC 2018

Dear Coral Listers,

We have some exciting news from the Marine Science And Nautical Training Academy (MANTA). This summer there was solicitation circulated to marine science organizations for the receipt of a donated 80 foot Burger yacht. I am very pleased to announce that MANTA was selected to receive this extraordinarily generous donation. This private yacht is currently being transformed into the RV MANTA for use in our live-aboard marine science programs. In reviewing the requests, the donor Mr. Mark Epstein noted how many amazing and deserving organizations there are out there. So I consider MANTA very fortunate to have been selected among such a distinguished field. I would like to express my gratitude to Mr. Epstein, to Meryl Kafka for making this connection, and to extend an invitation and a request to the coral community to join us in utilizing this new teaching and research platform (http://manta-online.org/research-vessel/ ). I am excited to put this vessel to work towards MANTA’s mission, and to support other organizations with the common goal of marine education, research, and exploration.

Accepting Student Applications
If you have students pursuing a career in marine science, please share this opportunity with them. This is a unique summer study abroad program offered by a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded and run by professional research scientists and educators. Our mission is to educate students in marine biology and the nautical sciences, and advance our understanding and conservation of the marine environment through fundamental and applied research. The course offering for summer 2019 is Field Studies in Coral Reef Biology, a live aboard study abroad opportunity that will be conducted in the British Virgin Islands. Students will live on the RV MANTA for 15 days of hands-on learning, with an emphasis on experimental techniques via SCUBA. No prior SCUBA experience is required, as students receive their SCUBA training and certification as part of the course.

More details on the course content and itinerary, information on dates and costs of participation, and an online student application are available at our website, manta-online.org, or by emailing rusty.day at manta-online.org.

College students enroll as summer school students through the College of Charleston’s Center for International Education and earn 4 biology credit hours transferable to their home institution.
http://manta-online.org/college-application/

College information video

Eligible high school students are rising juniors and seniors, or new graduates, and can apply here.
http://manta-online.org/high-school-application/

High school information video

If you are a high school teacher who wants to organize group travel for 2019 or 2020 please get in touch.

MANTA article in the College of Charleston Magazine

MANTA article in South Carolina Marine Educators Association SeaScripts

Collaborative Opportunities
The RV MANTA will also be available for hire for student field studies or research. If you are an organization or professor seeking logistical support for a study abroad, or field studies program, we would be happy to provide a turnkey live-aboard platform for your operations. The vessel will be equipped and available for SCUBA operations, including extended cruises in more remote Caribbean locales. She will also be suitably equipped for survey work. The goal is to provide an economical, comfortable, mid-sized alternative to ship-based science. We will be operating in the Leeward and Windward islands and Central America for next 3 years. Please email rusty.day at manta-online.org directly for more information and to discuss support for your endeavors.

Best regards,

Russell Day, PhD
Executive Director, Marine science And Nautical Training Academy - MANTA
Adjunct Professor, College of Charleston
520 Folly Rd, Ste 25 PMB 290
Charleston, SC 29412
(843) 817-7791
www.manta-online.org