[Coral-List] Sargassum season and dust

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Thu Jul 18 17:36:49 UTC 2019

When I posted my rant about African dust and Sargassum on the Coral-List
I had no idea it would turn into a discussion about illegal mining and
run off from the Oronoco River. These discussions reminded me of some
earlier work we conducted in the Florida Keys. Many of you in the
Florida Keys will know there is a red/brown very dense crust on the
surface of the limestone. It is thicker (up to 4 inches in the lower
keys where it overlies Pleistocene oolitic limestone.) It is usually
thinner in the upper keys where it overlies Pleistocene coral reef
limestone. It can also be found offshore where it underlies Holocene
coral reefs.These crusts are composed mainly dense laminated limestone
consisting of calcite. These crusts also contain iron, which gives them
the rusty brown color and quartz silt, and yes they come from African
dust. They are the best evidence of repeated fluctuations of sea level.
Our coring has revealed at least 5 distinct layers of this crust in the
first 100 feet of Pleistocene limestone. Each one represents a time of
lower sea level and exposure to the atmosphere.

What is most interesting is the upper-most crust one sees most anywhere
in the Florida keys is almost 10,000 years old by C14 dating. The upper
surface dates essentially to the present day. The crust in the Keys is
still forming today. What is surprising is they contain Mercury, which
is also present in African Dust.It should be obvious to anyone that the
Mercury did not come from the Oronoco river plume. It also did not come
from electric power plants although today power plants do in fact emit
mercury. As an employee of a government agency the reader can imagine
the situation I was in when I found Mercury in laminated dense limestone
that predated any industry in the Americas. There were lawsuits going on
between EPA and industry at the time.

I don’t imply there is no Mercury in the Oronoco plume but one thing I
am sure about, is that the Mercury in these crusts came from the
atmosphere several thousand years ago and it is still arriving in the
African dust. Unfortunately we never tested for Mercury in the older
crusts. This is all described and illustrated in my book, /Geology of
the Florida Keys/, co authored by Barbara H. Lidz. (University Press of
Florida, 2018) Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor