[Coral-List] Please post our upcoming REEF BUILDING WORKSHOP

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 16:35:36 UTC 2021

Dear Hanna,

Great to know that you are advising to the Colombian Coral restoration
practioners to use bricks instead of other unstable hanging artificial
structures that may be destroy with thte next hurricane. This email is
not for them to justify their practices but for their feedback.

We are worry for the announcement of the current Colombian President
of Colombia to break ONE MILLION OF CORAL FRAGMENTS to hanging them in
ropes within Seaflower Marine Biosphere Reserve. Of course, the cost
of ropes is cheaper but ....

https://www.facebook.com/CorporacionCoralina/photos/pcb.4107030732697328/4106963572704044/

Hanna, are you going to advise for SEAFLOWER BIOSPHERE RESERVE to keep
some control (untouched) colonies and control sites so they can
measure real success or faliure for the high scale experiment ? The
rescue of coral colonies and frgaments of hope should have been done
immediately after the hurricane category 5, not seven months after it
and six months after dredging the Providence Channel. By the way, the
sediment removed from the dredging operations was allowed by the local
authorities to be deposited again on Seaflower Reserve close to good
dive sites.

According to your experience, Hanna, what scientific criteria (limits)
applies for the fragmentation of coral colonies? Or a ratio of how
many coral colonies that survive Hurricane Iota should not be broken
again nor microfragmented? Are you going to point out the need to
address FIRST global climate change and Acroporas, local pollution,
sewage, anchoring, overfishing, military trials, etc, before
announcing saving the coral reefs of Seaflower by breaking them?

Thanks to open the debate !!!

<coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>:
> *REEF BUILDING WORKSHOP - LIVING SHORELINES: Green Engineering Methods for
> Coral Reef Rehabilitation*
>
> *10 - 20 Sep 2021*
>
> Registration deadline: *15th of July 2021*
>

> Hi coral-listers,
>
> We, rrreefs <https://www.rrreefs.com/> (a german/swiss not for profit
> initiative) are excited to announce *our first-ever *international
> *reef-building
> workshop *in partnership with Corales de Paz <https://www.coralesdepaz.org/>
> , taking place *this September* in *San Andrés, Colombia*.
>
> This goes out to everyone interested in joining us in building the first
> pilot reef with rrreefs’ easy-to-handle 3D-printed stackable brick system.
> It is a *10-day intensive full-time 100 hours hands-on, and in-water
> practical workshop* (incl. 14 SCUBA dives). The workshop touches on coral
> ecology, newest approaches to coral restoration and ecosystem
> rehabilitation, appropriate design, logistics, and evaluation of a
> restoration project. We will showcase the feasibility of construction and
> customization, with a subsequent multi-year monitoring program. This new
> approach of passive, structure-based reef regeneration will be combined
> with proven active reef restoration approaches such as coral fragmentation,
> gardening, and transplantation techniques perfected by Corales de Paz.
>
> The program will be divided into a series of classroom lessons and field
> activities. Lessons will be held in English. All in-water field activities
> will be carried out with SCUBA diving equipment.
>
> To download the full program for more details, costs, and other practical
> information, please check out the Workshop brochure
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KGkr6eBavLk_5szIKXHbvCKZinLAa1xH/view?usp=sharing>
> and flyer
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LKd3hwqNOVheOEp_KTbSJkjiewZCeClX/view?usp=sharing>
> or visit our homepage rrreefs.com <https://www.rrreefs.com/>
>
> For any additional information, feel free to send an email to
> info at rrreefs.com
>

> Cheers,
>
> your rrreefs team
>
> Hanna Kuhfuss
>
> Marie Griesmar
>
> Ulrike Pfreundt
>
> --
> *HANNA KUHFUSS*
>
> *Co-Founder at rrreefs (NGO)*
> rethinking-rebuilding-regenerating coral reefs
>
> www.rrreefs.com
>

> *Geschäftsführerin/Gründerin Aerialnauten *
>
> *by Schwerelos Yoga Freiburg*
>
> *Aerial Yoga Studio, Yoga Therapie & Training*
> *mail schwerelosyoga.freiburg at gmail.com <schwerelosyoga.freiburg at gmail.com>*
> *mobile* (+49) 177 3454 952
> www.schwerelos-yoga.de

Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora,
Observatorio Internacional de Arrecifes Coralinos
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife
Follow us on:
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia
Youtube ICRI Colombia