[Coral-List] Mineral Accretion Technology

Annie Williams williams.annie43 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 22:01:45 UTC 2021

Hello all,

My name is Annie Williams and I am a part of a group that will be
conducting a senior project in Costa Rica this winter break. Our team was
introduced to the technology of mineral accretion, and decided to focus our
project around the electrification of a metal rebar structure in order to
aid in the restoration of coral reefs. The electrification alters the
chemistry of the seawater, and minerals that are necessary components of a
coral's skeletal structure will be accreted around the rebar. This means
that coral's growth accelerates and the reef becomes more resilient
to climate change's impacts as it has more energy to expend. We are in
search of a way to power this utilizing primarily renewable sources of
energy, but have failed to find the building design for this kind of
technology. We have many questions, and would love to pick someone's brain
that has knowledge on this subject!!!!

Please let me know and thanks for reading,

Annie Williams