[Coral-List] Request for the Reef Futures 2022 Conference

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 21 20:03:52 UTC 2022

   Perhaps of relevance:

   This March, as we have done for years, we were making maple syrup. No,
   I won't send you any. I felt fine-a tad sketchy. I remember thinking
   "These sap pails are REALLY heavy this year!" but carried on. Someone
   suggested I take a test-bang, positive.

   I was testing negative within 10 days, and hence "recovered". But then.
   Three months of shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, headaches and
   something I described as the Grey Cloak of Doom. Some days, I couldn't
   function. Slowly getting better, but it will be a long haul.

   This is not about me, this is about you.

   I fell into an at-risk group, to coin a phrase, being older than anyone
   in the world except Gene Shinn. otoh, I was in wicked shape, healthy,
   etc.

   The data show that, of the people getting Covid, 30% of them will
   suffer Long Covid. Given present rates of infection, as Sarah points
   out, that means-all of you. (Sure, the fatality rate has gone down,
   largely thanks to vaccinations, but that isn't the real issue.)

   And now we have an in-person conference, of all things, in Florida, of
   all places (the poster child for fudging disease data), with no
   enforceable mandates, of all freakin willikers.

   You couldn't pay me to go.

   Mike