[Coral-List] (Coral-List) 1.5 C not plausible anymore

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:18:12 UTC 2022

I agree!

I sometimes think of science as a method of persuasion, in which scientists
use evidence to try to convince their colleagues of their ideas.  But
sometimes, scientists need to persuade the public of something, for the
public's own good.  To do that, we need the assistance of the popular
press.  The public doesn't read scientific papers, so a sentence at the end
of a scientific paper will likely have no effect on the public.  But the
press doesn't work for us, they work for the whole population, and they
have their own goals and incentives and MUST have freedom of the press to
do their work as they see fit.  But maybe we can work a bit better with
them.
       Many of us, probably most, are super frustrated that we are unable
to move the needle on climate change or saving reefs.  But the public and
voters in particular, have a long list of higher priorities than saving
coral reefs.  Europe has no reefs of its own, the US has very little, most
reefs are in lower income countries that have little if any power to do
much of anything, and most of the reefs Europe and the US have anything to
do with are far from the voters and not on thei radar.  For many voters,
their pocketbooks, so jobs, incomes, economic prosperity, inflation, etc
are often one of their top priorities.  There are a lot of other major
issues most of the time, and in the current US election, climate change
seems to be way down the list, and coral reefs surely aren't even on the
bottom of a long list.  If floods that cover 1/3 of a country and kill
17,000 people, long droughts that damage whole regions (like the US west),
forest fires that burn huge areas, burn hundreds of houses to the ground,
kill many people, produce some of the world's worst air pollution (like
California and the US west), and record head waves that kill more people
than any other type of weather don't get the public's attention and desire
to stop climate change, a few dead corals on the other side of the world
won't do it (I exaggerate of course, but I think you get the point).
       I often find it easier to think of things that block our way, than
things we can do to tackle climate change or coral reef decline.  When we
do find something we can do, sometimes we jump on it, like reef
restoration, because growing corals is so successful and relatively easy.
I like things like killing crown of thorns when an outbreak is starting,
that's something we can directly do to help the reef.  And I like Paul's
idea of shading some high-value reef areas during heat waves.  But what we
most need to do is to manage people, most of the time we can only manage
reefs by managing people (and that's what governments do, manage people).
And people don't want to be "managed" or restricted.  One of the few ways
they might not resist would be to find other ways for them to get the
benefits they want without damaging reefs, but that's harder to do than it
sounds.
       These days we often hear about how lower-income countries say they
contributed little to climate change yet feel the brunt of the damage.  A
new article is out documenting this better than ever before.  I remind that
most coral reefs are in lower-income countries (Australia being the most
outstanding exception, but it "only" has about 16% of the world's reefs,
that means that the majority of the world's reefs, maybe 3/4, are in
lower-income countries.  Lower-income countries are bearing most of the
damage to coral reefs.).

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-03573-z

Check out the graph, there it is.

Cheers,  Doug

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 4:05 AM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <