[Coral-List] (Coral-List) 1.5 C not plausible anymore

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 15:35:41 UTC 2022

“ . . . the press doesn't work for us, they work for the whole population, and they

have their own goals and incentives and MUST have freedom of the press . . . But maybe we can work a bit better with them”.

Coral scientists have freedoms too of course. They can paint whatever picture they see (or want to see). I’m simply contending that the message getting out doesn’t align with the science. IF it is a scientific truth that continued inaction on climate change will seal the fate of the world’s coral reefs - that message that is not resonating. What is resonating is the idea that coral scientists are doing wonders and that we may be able to genetically engineer our way out of this. So, I ask what is the limit to our optimism? Are we confident that 2.0 C will not result in the near total loss of today’s coral refugia? How about 2.5 or even 3.0 C?

“Many of us, probably most, are super frustrated that we are unable

to move the needle on climate change or saving reefs. But the public and

voters in particular, have a long list of higher priorities than saving

coral reefs”.

True, but how can you expect to move the needle on climate change if we keep reassuring the public that there are innovative ways in which we can continue to help corals adapt to a warmer future? At the very least the coral sciences should be doing both - advocating for action on climate change (and local stressors) - and promoting the latest restoration advances - with equal fervor - something you must admit, at present, is not being done. And you are right, saving coral reefs is way down the list of voter priorities. So, again the challenge is to find a more compelling message - one that links the loss of coral reefs to the even wider threats that unbridled climate change holds for societies at large. As devastating storms intensify; flood waters rise; wildfires rage and droughts worsen (in real time) you would think that both science and the media would be up to the task.

Regards,

Steve