[Coral-List] Effective messaging

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 14:58:12 UTC 2022

Thanks to Doug Fenner for providing the link:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-try-bolster-great-barrier-075522121.html

It was uplifting to read about coral scientists putting out a clear, authoritative message and the media getting it right.

I thought Carly Randall of the Woppaburra Coral Project at AIMS (Australian Institute of Marine Sciences) framed it perfectly with her candid warning about the limitations of the institutes’s long-term plan is to grow “tens to hundreds of millions” of baby corals every year and plant them across the reef. Robots, coral farms and skilled divers “will absolutely not work if we don’t get emissions under control”. “This is one of many tools in the toolkit being developed, but unless we get emissions under control, we don’t have much hope for the reef ecosystem”.

Her message did not sound like doom and gloom to me, but it did come across as genuine and wholly truthful and that, in and of itself, was refreshing. Beyond that, her’s is the one message that best serves the purified interests of the world’s coral reefs. Everyone should be onboard with that.

Regards,

Steve