[Coral-List] The Guardian: Largest known deep-sea coral reef mapped off U.S. Atlantic coast

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jan 22 16:05:21 UTC 2024

   Good day, all.

   I was going to let this slide without comment, because, after all, do
   we need yet another demonstration that people don't read the older
   literature if that might obscure the brilliance of their latest
   discovery? But I thought some perspective might be appropriate.

   We have, of course, known about deep-water corals for a very long time.
   People have been dredging up Lophelia forever. There seems not to have
   been a great deal of interest in them until the mid-1990's. We managed
   to get a climate record from deep-water corals from off the coast of
   Newfoundland, which is relevant to-day. We found that during the onset
   of the Younger Dryas, the turnaround from full-on deglaciation to a
   widespread cooling took less than 4 years. This was driven by a
   meltwater event that basically shut down/diverted the Gulf Stream.
   (Smith et al, 1997, Nature v 386).

   It is worth mentioning that the corals we worked on were part of a much
   larger haul, dredged up by the geophysicists. The corals languished in
   storage for years at the Bedford Institute until some bright spark
   said, Chuck 'em out. Several bucketloads were trashed, until someone
   working in Dale Buckley's lab contacted me.

   Word leaked out about our results even before the Nature paper, and we
   were invited to a workshop at Lamont. That certainly got things
   buzzing, with Wally Broeker calling deep corals "the New Climate
   Archive."

   We were then invited to attend a NOAA-sponsored workshop in Ireland, on
   the use of corals in climate work.

   In short (wrap this up, Mike!): No, that discovery wasn't especially
   momentous, and it would be sporting to accept that much of the interest
   in deep-water corals emanates from work done by your neighbours to the
   north.

   Mike