[Coral-List] The Guardian: Largest known deep-sea coral reef mapped off U.S. Atlantic coast

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 19:27:52 UTC 2024

Thanks for this addition to the discussion Mike,

" We managed to get a climate record from deep-water corals from off the
coast of Newfoundland, which is relevant to-day. We found that during the
onset of the Younger Dryas, the turnaround from full-on deglaciation to a
widespread cooling took less than 4 years. This was driven by a meltwater
event that basically shut down/diverted the Gulf Stream.  (Smith et al,
1997, Nature v 386)."  Another study also details this record of AMOC
collapse:  Douarin, M., M. Elliot, S. R. Noble, S. G. Moreton, D. Long, D.
Sinclair, L.-A. Henry, and J. M. Roberts (2016), North Atlantic ecosystem
sensitivity to Holocene shifts in Meridional Overturning Circulation, *Geophys.
Res. Lett.*, 43, 291–298.  https://blogs.agu.org/geospace/2016/01/13/12833/

I find this of extreme interest- that these deep water corals record ocean
overturning circulation collapse which happened 12K years ago, and that it
was so rapid.  The rapid melting event lowered the salinity of Arctic
waters which in turn prevented the formation and downwelling of hypersaline
super-cold deep bottom water.  There was quite a stir created last July due
to the publication of a new modelling study which indicated a 95%
confidence interval that the AMOC collapse would happen by 2095:  Ditlevsen,
P., Ditlevsen, S. Warning of a forthcoming collapse of the Atlantic
meridional overturning circulation. *Nat Commun* 14, 4254 (2023).
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-39810-w

My question is did this refreeze of the Arctic about 13K years ago save the
planet from a hot-house climate and an associated increase in sea level
of >100M which would have happened if a massive release of methane from
melting tundra had happened?  Isn't this which what we are potentially
facing now?  Is this part of a normal planetary feedback system which kicks
in?   And might the 15% reduction in AMOC detected in 2018 be
strengthening? https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0006-5

Evidence:  NOAA data indicates that sea surface temperature increased at an
average rate of 0.14°F per decade from 1901 through 2020.  However in 2023,
there was a sudden and unexplained jump of about 0.7C, (>5 standard
deviations above the mean), which puts us at 1.54C above the pre-industrial
mean.  https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/   The earlier
hypotheses blaming the Tonga eruption, or sulfur dioxide emission
reductions from the banning of high-sulfur fuel in shipping, both of which
have been debunked, leaving me wondering if early AMOC shut down could be
the explanation?

According to the models, AMOC collapse would warm the southern hemisphere
while it cools the northern hemisphere, and vast changes in ocean currents
would result in sudden sea level changes.  How might this impact the
planet's coral reefs?   If anyone doubts that we are already over the
tipping point, please go to the University of Boston Climate Reanalyzer
site, which has multiple data sets updated daily.
https://climatereanalyzer.org/   The massive and unexplained ocean heating
started in March 2023, and only several months later spread to the
atmosphere.

I frankly never thought I would live to see this day, and am rather
surprised that so few in the scientific community are aware of what is
unfolding before us.

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation, Fiji
https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 7:08 AM Risk, Michael via Coral-List <